Thursday, June 12, 2014

Internship Blog - Allie Reefer, Post #2



What Americans Can Learn from Serbians

While every society and country has its problems, I also think that we can learn a lot from other cultures and people groups. Americans sometimes take this for granted—we get into the mindset of American exceptionalism, even if we don’t mean to. So the idea that someone else’s culture could positively contribute to our own isn’t one that’s often talked about.

I think that part of the reason for this is that we have and hold to a lot of stereotypes about other countries. For instance, when a lot of Americans think of Serbia and Serbs, they immediately think of Communist Yugoslavia, the Bosnian war, and ruthless nationalistic fighters. The souvenir stands throughout Belgrade emphasize this. While older parts of the city have crafts, pottery, paintings, and even traditional wine and rakia, the more commercial parts of the city have kiosks with Yugoslav soldier hats, Serbian flags, t-shirts with crude sayings, and other items that really play on this stereotype of the country.

These stereotypes, however, tend to not recognize the redeeming qualities of other cultures or the individuals that make up the country. Serbians live a lot like Americans, but some parts of life are a lot different here—parts of life that I think Americans could stand to reevaluate and begin to change.

So, here are some things I think Americans could learn from Serbians:

1. Life is not all about your career.

Too often, we define ourselves by what we’re doing, where we’re working, what we’re studying. When I was living in Washington, DC, I probably told at least one person a day that I was a Writing major from Geneva College interning at the Department of State’s Trafficking in Persons Office. In DC, who you are is defined by what career you have or what office you work for. In my experience, this doesn’t change much in the rest of the US.

Here, people ask me what I’m studying or where I’m working, but these aren’t the first questions out of their mouths. Mostly they want to know why in the world I’m in Serbia. Eventually they ask me what I study and where I’m interning, but no one really “oohs” and “aahs” over what I’m doing with my career. They care more about who I am as a person and not just what my resume says I’m worth.

2. Scheduling your day away doesn’t really leave a lot of room for adventures or relationships.

I’m definitely someone who’s guilty of needing to have a schedule running through my head for the whole day. This is partly because I get sidetracked if I don’t, but I also think it’s just because that’s what American culture has taught us to do. But this isn’t really that natural or that exciting of a way to live, which is probably why people are always late and often depressed.

Here, they create space in their day to enjoy time with friends, to allow for flexibility. People meet for coffee or drinks and sit for 2-3 hours at a time. No phones, no rushing out—just talking over coffee. People, of course, do have schedules and meetings and appointments, but it doesn’t seem like they let a schedule rule their lives.

3. Life is meant to be done in community with others.

Everyone here is so willing to help with anything, even if they can’t understand a word I’m saying. People look out for each other, whether its their coworkers, family, or friends. This isn’t to say that individualism and discrimination aren’t present. But what I’ve experienced is that people don’t offer to help me because I’m American, a woman, or a good resource for them. They just help me because I’m a human being.

How different would things be if we stopped helping people or being friends with people because of what they could offer us? What if we were just willing to give what we have to offer them? Even the anti-trafficking efforts here center around community-based initiatives and involvement because the reality is that no one person is going to fight human trafficking in Serbia, the US, or anywhere else in the world. We’re meant to be part of a community, to be working together to help each other.


 4. You don’t need a smart phone or a car, for that matter.

A lot of people have both smart phones and cars here, but there are also a lot of people who have dinky Nokias and rely on public transportation to get around. One reason for this is that a lot of people just don’t have the money to spend on smart phones or new cars—there are a lot of beaters driving around, including some old Yugos! But regardless of that, people here love to talk in person and they love to walk. Talking on the phone is definitely preferred to texting, but talking in person at a cafĂ© is the best option for conversation. People aren’t constantly taking photos of food or friends or themselves—social media is used, but definitely not to the degree that we use it. And not being able to be constantly connected has been a good experience. Life shouldn’t revolve around my iPhone.

And walking. Walking is probably the preferred method of transportation; one coworker even tried to convince me that it would be easy for me to walk home from work—over a 3 mile walk! But seriously, if you take the bus over walking a mile, don’t tell people because most of them will just wonder why you didn’t walk because “it’s so close!”


Americans tend to really love their individuality and their careers. Being here in Belgrade has been a good reminder that I am not my career, a reminder that keeps me in focus of why I’m doing what I’m doing in the first place: a passion to help people fight against human trafficking. And hopefully I can bring some Serbian culture home to Pittsburgh to show others the importance of community, the need for a flexible schedule, the innate worth of people regardless of their career, and the value of a good cup of coffee.

“The Victor” overlooking the rivers at the Belgrade fortress, Belgrade, Serbia


Great War Island and the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers, Belgrade, Serbia

My own homemade Serbian kafa

“The Victor” statue, Belgrade, Serbia

No comments:

Post a Comment