Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Farewell from the Career Services Student Worker

My name is Amanda Kitanga, and today is my last day as the student worker for the Office of Career Services. Over the past year and half, I have had the opportunity to work for Career Services, meaning I have worked nearly every day with Jessica, Emmy, and Shannon. Not only has my time with Career Services been well spent, but so has my time here at GSPIA.Working for Career Services has given me some insight on nearly all things career related. So here are some words of wisdom, advice, and whatever else you'd like to call it.

Tip#1: Get to know Jessica, Shannon, and Emmy. And I mean really get to know them. Ask questions in the professional development course. Stop by their office to say hi. Set up appointments on Connections to talk about your internship search, resume, cover letter, job search, or etc. Once they know you, they'll send you internship or job postings they come across or they can connect you with alums & people in the field. I can not tell you the number of times Emmy and Shannon help students out. They do it all day, every day. They are here to help, but can only help you so much if they do not know you.

Tip#2: Follow Career Services on social media. Career Services has a Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest accounts. Every week, Career Services will post jobs, internships, and information on events. It's one of the best ways to stay connected and up to date with all things Career Services.

Tip#3: Apply to internships and jobs often AND early. While you may know or hear about people who only applied to a few internships or jobs and then landed their dream internship/job, trust me when I say that is rare. Personally, I applied to over 25 internships before I started getting positive feedback. It can take months for you to hear back from the government, for example. Sometimes you here nothing at all. Disappointing, I know. But that's why you keep applying.

Tip#4: Keep track of everywhere you apply. Create a word document or excel file. Include the name of the position, the company/organization's name, what you submitted to the organization and when you submitted. Keeping detailed notes of your applications will help you keep track of your job/internship search. It'll come in handy when you contacted about interviewing.

Tip#5: Get involved. Participate in anything and everything that leads to professional development. Join a student organization, volunteer, get involved with one of the Centers, or do multiple internships. The last thing you want to do is to come to graduate school and not grow professionally. The last thing you want is to enter the job market and not look like a competitive candidate because you only went to class.

Tip#6: Take risks.This tip is on the same lines as get involved. Take courses that are difficult, learn skills, participate in the DC Semester, study abroad, or take an internship in a developing country. Take risks that will help you grow as a person and professionally.

In my two years at GSPIA, I have tried to follow all of these tips. It is not always easy, but it has been worth it. I have viewed my graduate school experience as a way to grow as a person, and most importantly grow professionally. The Office of Career Services - Jessica, Emmy, and Shannon - want to help you with your career. Your professional development is dependent on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment