Thursday, May 16, 2013

Internship Blogs - Justin Moore, Post #1

Start.

As a warning to most, this will probably turn into another stereotypical I-love-to-travel-and-post-my-pictures blog.  I admit, however, that I’m going to try and make it something more than that.
In short:  my name is Justin Moore.  I grew up in small town Pennsylvania, graduated from West Virginia University in political science and international studies, and now I am a graduate student studying international affairs at the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.  My personal and academic passion revolves around natural resource policy, energy security, the environment, and foreign affairs.  I also love traveling, and have been fortunate enough to travel and study in places like Japan, South Korea, China and Southeast Asia. Like I said, this will probably come across like a travel blog, but I’m trying to expand on that.

As a graduate student, you quickly realize that graduate study is no joke.  In fact, I’ve never come so close to a total mental break down, particularly thanks to quantitative methods research.  I’m also a nail biter when stressed, so they’ve been taking quite a hit over the past year as a first year graduate student.  However, it is also immensely rewarding, and I’ll be experiencing some wonderful opportunities in the next year thanks to graduate study at the University of Pittsburgh.  Basically, this blog is to chronicle those experience.  The good, the bad, the stressful, the fun, the domestic, and the international.

This summer, I will be interning with the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C., and I am really excited for the move.  Obviously as a student of international affairs who wants to work in international environmental affairs, being in Washington, D.C. at the EPA is a dream come true.  On top of the internship, I’ll have two summer classes, all while attempting to study for a GRE retake (in the case that I’m a glutton for punishment and may perhaps want to pursue a PhD after my Masters) and learning Korean.  At the end of the summer, I’ll be traveling to Japan for two weeks as a Japan Travel for U.S. Future Leaders Fellow.  This will have me interviewing and meeting with Japanese government and industry leaders in the field of energy security.  Immediately after that, I’ll be spending a semester abroad at Seoul National University in Seoul, South Korea.  All in all, once this summer fully starts at the end of May, I’ll be moving around, meeting new people, and experiencing new places all the way to 2014!

Hopefully this blog will give you a good taste of what graduate study in international affairs is all about because, as stressful as it may become, it is definitely one interesting and unique experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment