Thursday, June 6, 2013

Justin Moore - Blog Post #2

Washington, D.C .


I’ve finally arrived in Washington, D.C. for the summer.  As corny as it sounds, it feels like a dream come true for someone who has studied political science throughout their academic career.  The city is busy all the time and feels alive; people are walking every where, the constant sound of vehicles, the heat.  Everything.  It is both exciting and intimidating to be here surrounded by so many important people and locations, but it feels like every step I have ever taken was leading me here.

Granted, this is only for the summer.  I am currently interning for the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the first day was great.  The building is right off of the National Mall very close to the Washington Monument, so I definitely feel like I’m right in the thick of Washington, D.C.’s federal community.  While I’m sure I’ll be done a few different things with the EPA, my main task is to conduct research on corporate environmental sustainability initiatives, in particular the way in which sub-tier suppliers provide parts used in manufacturing.  However, as this is only my first week in D.C., things won’t be picking up in the office until next week.

In the meantime, I’m spending much of my time taking in the city.  It seems like there is an endless amount of things to do and see! I’m sure they will provide my roommates (both graduate students at GSPIA interning in D.C. this summer as well) and I with tons of things to experience.  This summer is going to be one busy, wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment