Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sebastien Gasquet's Blog - Post #3

WANEP Crash Course

Ever since I first arrived at the WANEP offices on Monday, everyone has been great in making me feel welcome and part of the team! Their hospitality was already on display before even meeting them, as they helped find my eventual apartment. What struck me at first was the amount of French spoken, as many are from French-speaking countries like Togo, Cote d'Ivoire and Guinea-Conakry. Their unofficial policy is to even out the number of employees from different ECOWAS countries, so I won't find a huge block from one country or another. They were quite happy to have another Francophone on board!

So as for the actual work, I was mostly assigned to their Peace Monitoring Center, where I scoured African and international news websites, looking for security threats and disasters, and uploading these events into a special database, which they use for their Early Warning System

WANEP at night
WANEP at night
Really interesting work!

I was lucky enough to attend a quarterly meeting this Friday, which is a large organizational gathering and a thorough review is made by each department, so I was able to learn a lot more about WANEP's structure and organization. But, possibly the best part was the lunch provided to each attendee, which we picked from a menu. I had a mouth-watering yam with palaver sauce, similar to pepper but much less spicy, great stuff!

It's Friday night now, so that means tomorrow I get my first breather since landing! Maybe I'll head down and see the Accra coastline and beaches for the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment