Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Internship Blog: Abraham Kim Post #1

New Blog (Again)

I’m terrible with journals. I am worse with blogs. This is my 3rd blog and the average number of posts for my previous two is probably 3 posts. The name of the blog didn’t help either. It had always been “Abein[country]” and so there was always going to be an end to those blogs since I eventually came back home. So, hopefully with this one, I can blog about all my adventures no matter where I am.

So where will I be next? In T-30 hours, I will be on a 54 hour trip. That includes all the time changes and the 13 hour layover in Dubai, and so the flight time is probably around 30 hours. Well, eventually, some time on Thursday June 4, I will have arrived in Entebbe, Uganda: my new home for the next two months.

What will I be doing? Work. I wish I was vacationing and seeing all the beauties of Uganda. I’ve never been to Uganda, but I know there are gorillas, guerrillas, and a lake. I wish I could see what more Uganda has, and I do know there’s a lot more. While I was in Zambia for the Peace Corps, prior to arriving, I knew … nothing about Zambia. Some people know at least Victoria Falls, but I knew nada. However, while living there for a while, there were hidden gems that I would LOVE to go back in a heartbeat. Uganda definitely has these and I really want to find them. However, I’ll be there for work.

As boring as work sounds, I could not be more excited to be surrounded by happy children playing silly games (which of course I love) and eating corn porridge. Not sure what it’s called in Uganda but nshima in Zambia, nsima in Malawi, bop in South Africa, Ugali in Kenya and Tanzania, you get the idea.

I’ve rambled a lot without answering exactly what I will be doing. I plan to monitor and evaluate income generating projects at the orphanage. The organization, Bright Kids Uganda (BKU), have sponsored children for schooling for a while now and these are children who were saved from the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), orphaned, or vulnerable from abusive families or families who could not financially support them. Now, BKU has nearly 100 children at their orphanage and they need a sustainable source of income. So, a few years back they started some initiatives with the help of volunteers, including several from my own graduate school (Graduate School of Public and International Affairs), and started a mini-supermarket, chicken poultry, microloans, and other small businesses. BKU also received a grant that will allow some of these projects to be expanded or completed and I will be following up on these projects. In addition, I hope to introduce a new income generating activity: raising rabbits. I did a bit of this during my service in Zambia and since rabbits are beneficial, cheap, and easy to breed, I hope to bring this into the mix of their projects.
All of that in two months. I wish I had more time, but I’ll just have to make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment