Monday, June 15, 2015

Internship Blog: Qianyu Mo Post #1



Introduction 

Greetings all!!!

Hello! My name is Qianyu Mo, an international student originally from Guangzhou, China. I’m studying for a Master of Public Administration (MPA), and focusing on urban affairs and planning at the Graduate School of Publis and International Affairs (GSPIA) from the University of Pittsburgh. My interests are in dealing with urban development problems and issues technically and practically. As an international student, I have already been in Pittsburgh for eight months when 2015 spring term ended in April. Having finished my first year graduate school study, I started doing my three-month summer internship in the Borough of Churchill which is under the Local Government Academy (LGA) program from June 1.

When it comes to how to get my current internship offer in local government, it was just a drama. Lol. I started looking for the summer intern jobs at the end of March after the GSPIA DC Career trip. I went to the Local Government Academy summer internship fair. It was there that I met managers from different municipalities, talked to them and sent them resumes. Although LGA provided a lot of summer internship positions related to my urban planning majors, I didn’t even imagine that I could get chances for an interview and even an offer! At first, I received an interview chance from Charleroi Borough, Washington County the day after the career fair. I went to Chaleroi Borough for the interview for special programs coordinator. However, after the interview I gave up for it was too far for me to go to work taking me an hour to commute. 

 
Parking meter in Charleroi

Charleroi Borough Building


And because there were no more contacts in later days, I anxiously began to look for other internships placing no more hope on LGA. What’s surprising, I got a phone call almost half a month after the career fair from Borough of Churchill for summer internship interview. With a thankful mind, I went there for the interview. The manager and I talked for a while, and he just gave me an offer all of a sudden. Wasn’t it like a drama to me? That’s my first summer internship offer!!! I couldn’t be excited more!!!

Borough of Churchill building




No comments:

Post a Comment