Thursday, June 11, 2015

Internship Blog: Topher Hoffman Post #1



#1: 6/9/15

Hello! My name is Topher Hoffmann, and I’ve moved to New York City for my summer internship! I arrived here having just finished my second year of a joint masters degree program at Pitt. Specifically, I’m studying for a Master of Public Administration at GSPIA and a Master of Public Health at the Graduate School of Public Health. My interests are in LGBT health; HIV/AIDS; and health policy, research, and advocacy.
It’s only been one week since I arrived, and I already understand why it’s called the “city that never sleeps.” At any given moment, there are a million things to do and see. In my first week, I rode the rides at Coney Island, explored Prospect Park in Brooklyn, hung out with the owners of a bar and a bakery in my neighborhood of Astoria, went jogging around Roosevelt Island, saw the sun rise over Manhattan, watched the Tony Awards with members of the NYC Gay Men’s Chorus, and even met a local celebrity. (Still haven’t met Neil Patrick Harris, though – luckily, there’s all summer for that!)
My internship, which will start this week, is at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. I will be working in the Bureau of HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control on the New York Knows project. New York Knows aims to increase the amount of people tested for HIV in the city’s five boroughs (especially in communities vulnerable to HIV), connect HIV-negative people to prevention services like pre-exposure and post-exposure prophylaxis, and connect HIV-positive people to treatment. The project is an expansion of two borough-specific projects, Bronx Knows and Brooklyn Knows. As a young gay man who has learned about the impact of this disease on my community historically, I’m excited to get started – and to share with you all that I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment