Friday, June 5, 2015

Internship Blog: Crystal Christophe Post #4

I GOT AN INTERNSHIP!: How I Got It

I just finished my second week at my internship!  I wanted to wait until I got settled before writing about it.

The Process:  In the fall, I attended the Student Activities Fair at GSPIA and I met a young man from Amizade Global Service Learning.  Amizade is a nonprofit organization (based in Pittsburgh) that facilitates volunteer programs all over the world.  After speaking with him about the organization, he suggested that I apply to an internship.  Later, an intern who was leaving posted in the GSPIA Facebook group that Amizade was in need of someone for the spring.  I messaged her and she had nothing but great things to say about her experience.  Fast forward to the spring and I saw that Amizade still needed interns.  I applied to a position for the summer and was invited to an interview….
The Interview:  I had just come off of a different interview at a place that I knew was not for me.  I had a bad feeling about that organization from the time I arrived to the time I left.  I was looking forward to my internship with Amizade later that same day.  Before I even entered the building, the same man that I had met months earlier at the GSPIA event recognized me and called my time to make sure I didn’t walk past the building!  As soon as I walked into the building, I felt comfortable.  The interview went well and I knew that I would accept an offer if they extended one to me.
The Referral:  I was contacted and told that the position I had interviewed for had been filled internally by someone who decided to stay, but I was referred to another person within the organization who was looking for an intern.  She was out of the country and we arranged a phone interview.  The interview went very well and I was offered the position!  I was so grateful for the referral that I was sure to contact the original person who interviewed me and thank her for recommending me to her colleague.
So….I am the new Program Management Intern at Amizade.  It has been 2 weeks so far and I love it!  I am so glad I trusted my gut.  I am enjoying my experience and I am learning a lot.  It has been a very interesting couple of weeks, but I will talk about that in another post!  I will talk about my adventures (and misadventures) as the new intern on the block!

No comments:

Post a Comment