Friday, June 12, 2015

Internship Blog: Abraham Kim Post #2

With no surprise....

My first post in Uganda is about food. Most of the dishes are very similar to Zambia’s dishes. Most of the fruit are also the same. However, I could not be more wrong thinking that there was such a place that had more bananas than Zambia. The number of trucks carrying charcoal in Zambia equated the number of trucks carrying bananas in Uganda, and if you don’t know how many trucks of charcoal there were in Zambia, let’s see… In a small town, you might see about ten trucks. I guess that doesn’t really help either since most of you don’t know what I mean as in a small town, but you sort of get the idea. TONS of bananas.

However, that isn’t the highlight of this food post. The first day of being in Uganda, it was impossible to not notice these huge spiky looking things hanging from trees. I thought to myself, these can’t be edible. They are so huge with an oblong shape. These are Jackfruits.

10421305_10152871116507633_8344783472002091540_n
(In my compound)

It was my first time seeing and hearing of such fruit, but it’s grown in most tropical areas including other countries in Central Africa, India, Bangladesh (it’s their national fruit), and other Southeast Asian countries, and I am SO glad I tried it.
The inside of a jackfruit (Google image)
The inside of a jackfruit (Google image)

The texture was strange yet the taste was sweet. No matter how much I thought of which other fruit it reminded me of, I couldn’t think of any. It was like a mixture of a melon, pear, and I don’t even know.

How it's served (Google image)
How it’s served (Google image)

Once I got internet (during the 2nd day), one of the first things I did was look up Jackfruits and it actually fell under the same category as mulberries. WHAT? I don’t see the connection AT ALL considering the taste, appearance in both fruit and tree size, and leaves. Well, it’s Wikipedia so it must be accurate. It also taught me that Jackfruits are very nutritious. It’s a good source of protein, Vitamin C, and Iron. As much as I love meat, I might be okay with just eating Jackfruits all day.
I had it with every supper so far except today. After such a fun-packed day, what a sad way to end it.

No comments:

Post a Comment