Friday, June 26, 2015

Internship Blog: Qianyu Mo Post #2



 First Day of My U.S Internship

Greetings all!!!

It has been a long time for me to write my internship stories down to you since the introduction piece. Here I am going to talk about the very special first day of my internship in Borough of Churchill.
Yes. It was a very special experience for me indeed. This internship is my first job in the United States. It is a brand new start for me not only to work with American folks but also to work for local government being an “official”. And I have to say it impressive for me that I was informed to have a workshop meeting in the evening as I got to the office at 8 am the first day. I didn’t even know any detail things in the Borough in the first day! How could I join the workshop?! What a surprise!
I went back from China on May 29, and spent two days adjusting the jet lag and making preparation for the first day on June 1. To be honest, time was limited. And I did worry a lot about I couldn’t understand what my manager and colleagues say exactly and the culture of the workplace. Fortunately, my manager Craig and my colleagues in the office Sandy, Donna, Ralph were very nice giving me warm welcome. “Here will be the place just like your own home. Be comfortable.” Sandy told me that and gave me some useful instructions of the office and its supplies stationary. 

My desk in the meeting room


As a zoning ordinance intern in Churchill, I started to read and try to get familiar with the code book of the Borough. I wasn’t assigned to some specific tasks in the first day but just kept reading. During the day, I was introduced to a lot of different people who came in the Borough office such as policemen from the police department next to our office, officer of code enforcement from TCVCOG, tax collector and so on. And around 7 pm council members came to the office for the monthly workshop meeting. There were seven people in total including the council president in the whole council. Council members have a monthly workshop meeting on the first Monday evening every month. In that workshop meeting, my manager introduced me, and then they discussed some issues such as the ADHOC committees update, pension committee update, meeting with school superintendent update, Garrick Drive residents concerns, property maintenance and bills. Actually, a lot of content they talked in the meeting were really new for me. It was not an easy thing to catch their words. But thankfully, I got the meeting agenda at advance. Doing some research before the meeting really helped.
With the workshop ending at about 8:30 pm, my first day came to an end as well. Way to go!!! Lol
 
Ready for the workshop meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment