Monday, June 8, 2015

Internship Blog: Crystal Christophe Post #5

My Internship: 2+ Weeks In

Sorry it’s taken so long to write about my experience.  I’ve been super busy!  In addition to my internship, I am also working as a research assistant and an English teacher.  I’ll try to be a little bit more consistent!  Okay, let’s get to it.  I’ll talk about my first two weeks.

Week 1:  The first week was interesting because neither of my supervisors were in the office.  One of my supervisors trained me on some program management software via Google Hangout.  She shared her screen with me and went through how to perform basic functions.  She was very thorough and helpful.  The training lasted much of the day and I tried my hand at some tasks.
Everyone at the office was very friendly and helpful.  It was very quiet though throughout the week because several staff members were away.
Week 2:  The second week, one of my supervisors returned and more people were in the office.  I had to find a new spot to work.  At the beginning of the week, I attended my first staff meeting, which was my chance to be formally introduced everyone.   My supervisor who trained me the previous week was still abroad and was ill.  My other supervisor was going to be in for only part of the week so she used her time in the office to train me on several new tasks.  She then laid out a schedule for me to follow since she would be gone over the next week.   I was confident in knowing exactly what was expected of me and my other supervisor was available via WhatsApp to answer any questions about logistics.  I had several!
Impression So Far: I LOVE the fact that even though supervisors are out of the office, business goes on and questions can be addressed via text or video chat.  This is incredibly convenient!  I also appreciate that they have entrusted me, someone completely new to EVERYTHING, to perform important tasks related to programming and to communicate with vendors and program leaders directly, all while several key players are not physically present in the office.  I ask a billion questions, but they welcome that.  I still use my own judgement where appropriate and I am very careful.
A lot of the tasks seem “mundane”, but it’s all new to me and I’m enjoying the learning process.  Things are starting to pile up, so I’m going to have to learn how to stay efficient and accurate while getting more done.  I am still figuring out what works for me.  I’m really loving  it so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment